ACP McElwain and President's Prizes 2023
Applications are invited for the 2023 ACP Prizes (each £1,000). The McElwain awards were established by the friends and colleagues of the late Professor Tim McElwain to commemorate his extraordinary contribution to the development of Medical Oncology in the UK. In addition, since 2020, the ACP now also offers an additional President's Prize. The prizes are open to UK trainees in Medical Oncology who are members of the Association of Cancer Physicians.
The Prizes are awarded annually to UK trainees in Medical Oncology who have performed high quality research on either clinical or basic research related to cancer. Applications should consist of:
- a summary of the research project (max 2 pages A4 (>10 font), excluding references, figures and tables);
- an abstract (up to 300 words);
- reprints of relevant published (or in press/submitted) material, if available;
- a reference from the trainee's Head of Department or Research Supervisor;
- a short paragraph indicating the likely impact of the research;
- a short statement (max 100 words) to explain what is the candidate's own work.
For 2023 two McElwain Prizes will be awarded (each with a value of £1000), one for a clinical project and one for basic/translational research, in addition to the President's Prize. The prizewinners will be invited to present their work at the annual Cancer Physicians in Training weekend in the autumn (11th-12th November, Hilton Leeds City). There may be a further opportunity for an oral/poster presentation at an NCRI or other event, discussions are ongoing.
Applications should be sent by email to:
Mrs Alison Norton
Association of Cancer Physicians
The deadline for applications for both awards is Friday 26th May 2023.